Ready to Bring it Back, Baby?
6 Back to Class Basics
We’re back, baby! Ok well, truthfully, I’ve been here all along 😜, but what I mean is that things finally feel more “normal,” dare I say.
Former students are starting to come back to class after summer holidays or even after taking three year long hiatuses through the pandemic. There are new international expats and visiting tourists joining our weekly dance parties. Friends of current students are finally giving in to the hype and tagging along to see what this Zumba craze is all about.
Whether you are returning to class, still on the sidelines considering joining the party, or are a long time Zumba lover, check out these Back to Class Basics to get the most out of your class experience!
-If you are new to exercise or have any preexisting health conditions, it’s best to consult a physician before starting your exercise routine.
-Listen to your body during class. If you feel sharp pains, lightheaded, or any dizziness, take a break.
- Wear light weight, breathable, and comfortable clothing.
- Bring a filled water bottle to hydrate throughout class as well as a towel for sweat!
- Wear supportive sneakers with low tread for quick movements and pivots.
- It takes time for your body to adapt to exercise. Focus on consistent effort rather than fast results.
- Speak kindly to yourself or let it go if you don’t catch a move instead of beating yourself up. It usually takes 3-4 classes before you become familiar with basic movements and an instructor’s hand gestures and cues. Stick with it to see improvements!
Be open minded.
- Each class contains a variety of musical genres and rhythms. Each instructor has a unique style, too! You never know what you might grow to love or learn if you just give it a chance !
Bring a friend.
- You are more likely to stick to a fitness program when you feel supported by a community. Invite a friend along or strike up conversation with the student next to you to increase your motivation and commitment!
Be ready to let go!
- Zumba is the ultimate dance fitness party, so feeling fun and free is the name of the game!
- Express emotion with claps, grunts, and cheers!
- Embrace your own style, let go of the idea that you need to be perfect, and see “mistakes” as unexpected solos!
Now that you know the basics, it’s time to put it into practice! Check out our updated weekly schedule with new Tuesday morning class in Tianmu (10:30 at Jas) and Tuesday night class by Zhongxiao Dunhua MRT ( 19:00 at Sunny Side)! You can bring the party to your home with my On- Demand Zumba classes, too!
Can’t wait to keep the party going with you!